IIS Manager Showing Blank Screen










I was shocked by one problem that I experienced while developing a SharePoint application. I was trying to open IIS Manager but it was showing me a blank screen. Even if I was trying to connect to localhost, it was denying.


After being disturbed for a while, I came to know that OWSTimer.exe wants to access IIS ADSI (Active Directory Service Interface). OWSTime.exe has multiple threads and those are trying to access the IIS at the same time. That is why IIS Server Manager suddenly goes blank. OWSTimer.exe is a Windows Sharepoint Services timer process which is responsible to execute defined tasks in specific time interval in background. I restarted the OWSTimer.exe service and believe me it worked like a magic. Restarting IIS also forces all running threads to release their access. So that also would have solved my problem. By the way, this may be a small issue but when I experienced it, felt quite surprised.

2 comments:

manu April 13, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Very nice article.......

Saanj April 14, 2009 at 3:06 AM  

Thanks so much manu.

Post a Comment